Chassis no. S837560
Engine no. V4634-8
3,442cc DOHC Inline 6-Cylinder Engine
2 SU Carburetors
220bhp at 5,500rpm
4-Speed Manual Transmission
Front Independent Suspension – Live Rear Axle
4-Wheel Disc Brakes*Exquisitely restored example
*Multiple-time JCNA Award Winner
*Desirable Special Equipment model
*Finished in period correct Imperial Maroon over Biscuit
*Offered with Jaguar Heritage Trust Certificate, t
he Jaguar XK150 is undeniably one of the world’s fastest and safest cars. It is quiet and exceptionally refined mechanically, docile and comfortable… we do not know of any more outstanding example of value for money.” – The Autocar
. What would turn out to be the final glorious incarnation of Jaguar’s fabulous ‘XK’ series of sports cars arrived in 1957. As its nomenclature suggests, the XK150 was a progressive development of the XK120 and XK140, retaining the same basic chassis, 3.4-liter engine and four-speed Moss transmission of its predecessors while benefiting from a new, wider body that provided increased interior space and improved visibility courtesy of a single-piece wrap-around windscreen, replacing the XK140’s divided screen. Cleverly, the new body used many XK120/140 pressings, the increased width being achieved by means of a 4″-wide central fillet. A higher front wing line and broader radiator grille were other obvious differences, but the new model’s main talking point was its Dunlop disc brakes. Fade following repeated stops from high speed had been a problem of the earlier, drum-braked cars, but now the XK had stopping power to match its prodigious straight-line speed. Introduced in the spring of 1957, the XK150 was available at first only in fixed and drop head coupe forms, the open roadster version not appearing until the following year. At 190bhp, the standard 3.4-liter engine’s maximum power output was identical to that of the XK140, so performance was little changed. Overdrive and a Borg-Warner automatic gearbox were the transmission options, the latter becoming an increasingly popular choice, while a Thornton Powr-Lok limited-slip differential was available for the XK150S.This stunning example was completed at Jaguar’s Browns Lane, Coventry works in July of 1958, this exceptional XK150 was built as a top-of-the-line Drophead Coupe version and configured for the North American market as a left hand drive example. The XK150 was finished in a stealth black exterior, fitted with a red Connolly interior and a black convertible top.
Distributed through Jaguar Cars of New York, the car’s first owner is believed to have been a dentist from San Mateo, California. The elegant XK150 was later purchased by a Napa, California resident, before being acquired by the third owner, who would keep the car for over two decades. This gentleman began a comprehensive restoration, during which every effort was made to make the XK150 Drophead Coupe an absolute showstopper. When the work was completed in 2008, the freshly restored Jaguar was brought out to the show circuit with great success, and was soon awarded Best in Class and Judges Choice at JCNA events. The car was sold to the fourth owner in 2009, whom kept the car until recently, proudly displaying it in his climate-controlled collection.
Finished in the period-correct Imperial Maroon over a biscuit Connolly interior and Wilton carpets, this XK150 Drophead Coupe looks incredibly elegant and appropriate. The light tan convertible top and top boot gives great contrast to the car’s exterior color, while its exquisite chrome and bright work adds the right amount of pizzazz. This XK150 still retains its matching numbers engine block, but the cylinder head appears to have been replaced at some point. A great entry to rallies and driving events, this Jaguar would be equally at home on a concours lawn.